From Rafat Ali, Skift
Yesterday, travel startups HotelTonight and GetYourGuide announced major funding rounds, and both of the travel startups are now well into double-digit millions on the amounts they’ve raised so far — HotelTonight may soon even touch $100 million mark.
That gave us an idea to compile a list of all the biggest venture-funded startups currently in travel and we came up with this list of 31 companies, with the lowest cutoff of around $20 million.
- Airbnb and Uber, never really billed as travel startups per se, are the two biggest venture-backed startups that exist now across tech, not just the travel tech sector.
- Chinese car rental, sharing, and booking companies have raised huge amounts to compete on scale.
- Russian booking companies have raised large amounts to compete in an especially competitive market.
- In general, room sharing and car sharing requires lot of investment to build, disrupt, and compete.
- Only four B2B startups are on this list. Surprisingly, two are aimed at the intersection of travel transactions and advertising/retargeting.